Like Xiaomi, Tecno, Samsung, Huawei, and other popular smartphone brands, Nokia has decided to put more focus on the mid-range and budget smartphone markets. Since it made a comeback, HMD Global has launched a good number of mid-range and budget devices that have been well received in Kenya and across the world. One of the latest affordable smartphones from the Finish company is Nokia 4.2. This post looks at the specifications of this phone and outlines everything you need to know before you purchasing the 4.2.
A brief look at Nokia 4.2 Specifications
- Android 9.0 Pie operating system
- 5.71 inches display
- 720 x 1520 pixels screen resolution
- 3GB of RAM
- 32GB internal storage
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 439 (12nm)
- 2G, 3G, 4G network support
- Rear camera: Dual – 13MP primary sensor, 2MP depth sensor
- Front camera: Single – 8MP
- 3000mAh non-removable battery
- Rear-mounted fingerprint scanner
Nokia 4.2 Specifications Review
Body, Design & Display
Like other Nokia phones that we have seen before, Nokia 4.2 is a good-looking device. Although the back is plastic, it has a premium look, you might think it’s more expensive than it actually is. It is a compact smartphone with 148.95mm by 71.3mm by 8.39mm body dimensions and weighs 161g. It’s has a fingerprint sensor that is well placed at the back below the dual rear camera module.
This Nokia phone features a 5.71 inches IPS LCD display with HD+ resolution. It boasts of 720 pixels by 1520 pixels resolution and 19:9 Aspect ratio. The display has a teardrop notch that houses the front selfie camera and there is a notable chin at the bottom with the Nokia branding.
The days when budget phones were equipped with poor performing cameras are long gone. Nokia 4.2 comes with a dual-lens camera at the back consisting of a 13 megapixels primary lens and a 2 megapixels depth sensor. At the front, this phone features an 8 megapixels lens. This camera profile is not bad for a phone in its price range.
Hardware and Operating System
Nokia 4.2 is powered by Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 439 processor made with 12nm manufacturing process. It runs Android 9.0 Pie Operating System and has 3GB of RAM. You get 32GB onboard storage space and there is a dedicated memory card slot supporting cards of up to 400GB
In Kenya, you will only find the 3GB RAM, 32GB onboard storage option. The 2GB RAM with 16GB storage option is not available in the country. If you wanted this option, you can check out the Nokia 3.2.
Nokia 4.2 Pros & Cons
- Pocket-friendly price: Although it’s not the cheapest Nokia mobile phone that you can buy in Kenya right now, it is one of the best affordable phones in the country. Well, this might be debatable because there are phones from Chinese phone makers, the likes of Tecno Camon 11, with similar specifications that sell at a lower price.
- Attractive body design: The first thing that attracts people to this smartphone is its attractive look and good build quality. But this should not be a surprise because Nokia has some of the best-looking budget phones.
- Decent cameras: Nokia is known for making some of the best camera phones. It launched Nokia 9 PureView this year, a masterpiece with a Penta-lens rear camera. Well, Nokia 4.2 does not compare to it, but it has decent cameras for its price. It has a 13MP primary sensor with f/2.2 aperture paired with a 2MP depth sensor and an 8MP front camera.
- Pure Android experience: This an Android One device. This basically means that you get Android as developed by Google. There is no bloatware i.e pre-installed apps that you might never use.
- Display with underwhelming resolution: It comes with a 720p display. Some phones in its price range, like the Infinix Note 5, have full HD (1080p) displays.
- Battery capacity is not impressive: There are a lot of phones in its class with better battery capacity.
Nokia 4.2 Rivals
This smartphone has many rivals. Top rivals include: